Tuesday, August 5, 2008

obsessing about fleece

I am someone who has a chill in her bones from November to April. Thus, watching the nightly temperature in Cusco hover about 0 and thinking the trail will be colder than that and I'll be in a tent, it's no wonder I am obsessing about fleece. Some say layers are best; others recommend a soft shell with a fleece lining. But then we have an 11 pound limit (including the sleeping bag and thermarest) to what we can ask our porter to carry -- the rest we have to carry. So here I am, with 2 weeks to go and at the height of summer when fleece selection is limited, madly trying to figure out what the lightest and warmest combination would be.

One tip I read on a forum: At night try to get some hot water from the porters to fill your drink bottle so you can have something hot at the foot of your sleeping bag.

No comments: