Thursday, August 28, 2008

finally off

Right now I am sitting in Lima airport, which is a lot more modern than I expected. The flight left a bit late and took just over 8 hours. The plane was only about half full and I was able to secure a middle three seater to myself and dozed for a while. There was quite a bit of turbulence and one loud bang which had me sit up and start crossing myself, even though I am not Catholic. Just as I was all excited that I only had three hours in between flights, the captain announced the local time (time difference: -1 from Toronto).

Lima airport has an internet cafe, massage, shops and restaurants, as well as ATMs and Money exchangers (exchange rate at those is dismal). I took some soles out (you can choose to withdraw soles or USD) and they came in large bills - oh dear - I have read it is hard to get change and certainly I emptied out the internet kiosk`s till paying 7 soles for one hour of access with a 50 sole bill. There seem to be a few of us camped out here for the night. It is very brightly lit and I do not feel unsafe.

I had a bit of a start when the computer could not find my reservation for the Cusco flight at 5:30am. However we tried another number and located it. Even though it is 4 hours in advance, I was able to check my suitcase, which is a relief. I still haven`t worked out a safe and reliable system for moving money from money belt to wallet and keep having to go into the bathroom! It will be easier once I get to Cusco.

I am lucky in that I can understand more Spanish than I speak but my rough attempts seem appreciated.

I`m so looking forward to arriving in Cusco and see how the altitude affects me and to having a (hopefully) hot shower and sleep.

No comments: