Friday, August 29, 2008

Inca Trail meeting

Last night my guide came to go over the trek to make sure I knew of the supplies I needed and how our days will look. There are only 7 of us - not sure if they know each other or what but I ended up with my own tent! That is a good thing in some ways but if it´s as cold on night 2 up in the clouds as I imagine it will be, I may be missing the extra body. He advised me to get some altitude sickness pills and I think I will heed his advice. I am not suffering too much but we will be going about 1000 metres higher and exerting ourselves.

We leave on Monday at 6am. I have arranged a sleeping bag and thermarest rental through the hotel and have a small duffle bag to stuff those in as well as anything else I would like NOT to carry myself. The total weight has to be under 6kg. Apparently they now weigh the porters´loads at the entry point and cause a ruckus if someone is over. That, I think, is a good thing.

The guide - I must get his name again and brand it on my head or something - also let me know that Aqua Calientes, the town under Machu Picchu, is very expensive. That makes sense but I am glad he mentioned it as I was working out how much money to take.

No comments: