Sunday, July 20, 2008

the overall itinerary

Wednesday, August 27: fly to Lima, arrive midnight, try to check in luggage early for Cusco flight or use the Left luggage service at the airport, camp out by the food court with all the other backpackers overnight. (travel day)

Thursday, August 28: fly to Cusco (5:40am), try to check-in to hotel early; sleep, drink cocoa tea (to acclimatize); eat; go to Tourist office and get Tourist ticket, maps, etc.; go to South American Explorers' clubhouse; maybe take trolley tour around city; generally get oriented (easy day)

Friday, August 29: tour

Saturday, August 30: tour

Places I'd like to see: Maras & Moray (organized tour), Sacsayhuaman (on horseback?)
Things I'd like to do: watch a live soccer game; get a massage or two or three; eat at the Hare Krishna restaurant; wander around the San Blas district; ride a local bus

Sunday, August 31: Pisac on own - public bus, taxi; trek packing/orientation (1 hour bus ride for $1)

Monday, September 1 - Thursday, September 4: Inca Trail; return to Cusco early evening

Friday, September 5: fly to Lima (9:40am); leave luggage at airport; either go to Port for boat tour of Las Islas Palomino or hire private tour guide; flight home 1:30am (travel, tour day)

This is just a rough outline so I have some structure to fall back on but also to make sure I see what I consider the essentials.

A note: I don't consider eating cuy or guinea pig an essential experience, especially after reading it arrives on the plate, head attached and feet in the air. Ugh. I have drilled that Spanish word into my head so I don't order it accidentally.

No comments: