Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lima - in between flights

The biggest problem I am facing in my planning is trying to arrange something to do while in between return flights in Lima. I expect tours will be available with every wheezing breath in Cusco so am going a bit free in terms of pre-organzing there but Lima is tricky. Most of the tours I find start at 9:00 or 10:00am from your hotel (which of course, I don't have) - I won't land until 10:40am. Then I am stuck until my 1:30AM flight home.

The tour I really want to do is a boat "cruise" to Palomino Island which leaves from Callao, the port, which is actually not too far from the airport. I am unclear as to whether one can just go there by taxi and there will be many boats going in the afternoon, actually make that any boats. If I could just get that information, I would be satisfied. However the few tours that have websites are out of date and 3/7 have not responded at all to my emails. I am really wishing I had kept my Spanish up so I could be certain of the answers I'm getting.

I also note that I am running into some problems as a solo traveller - of course they would be willing to do a tour or hike or horseback riding for two, three, six people but not for just me, or at a very high cost. I understand that but it's a little frustrating. Hopefully I'll meet some people in Cusco to tag along with.

I did hear back from Monica, a recommended independent Lima guide. I told her please, no museums - hopefully she will understand that I would like to see what she loves about her hometown. I asked her to think where she would take a friend from another city. I think I will try to go with her regardless even if she insists on shepherding me around the major tourist places - she is $12/hour and will pick me up at the airport, drop me off again. She answered my email quickly and says she can help me with the boat tour.

No comments: