Sunday, July 20, 2008

Inca Trail - head's up

I almost waited too long to book my place on the trek. The Peruvian government has limited the number of total trekkers that can start the Trail on any given day to 200. I eeked onto that list for September 1, booking way back on April 18.

Another mistake on my part: I had read this, of course, in my prior research on the Inca Trail but was watching the GAP Adventures website for the tour to "guarantee" before I booked. My thought was what if I book my flight and they can't get the minimum number? Then, suddenly, overnight it seemed, my trip's status went from available to waiting list. I rushed down to the GAP Adventures office in a frenzy.

I was on a "let's wait and see" list over the weekend so as a back-up plan, emailed Peru Treks, a highly-reputable local trekking company and asked if they had space. A swift response supplied me with all the information but stressed urgency. It was with some regret that I emailed them back Monday afternoon to say that GAP had come through for me. If I had been more experienced at solo travel, I would have liked to have booked with them.

No comments: