Sunday, September 7, 2008

summation

In all, the trip was much more fun and interesting than I imagined. Much to my surprise, I discovered I like travelling on my own. Every day was a challenge to do what I wanted to do. For example, did I really want to go to Pisac on the local bus enough to actually do it or should I just wander around Cusco in relative familiarity? For once the voice in my head said "just go" and I did and enjoyed myself more as a result. I don't want anyone to think I wasn't watchful of my surroundings or acted insensibly. I lied several times about a boyfriend back at the hotel when people asked me if I was travelling alone. I wore a money belt. I kept valuables in the hotel safe. I stayed close to the hotel after dark.

So although hiking the Inca Trail and seeing Machu Picchu from the Sun Gate had been the original reason for going to Peru, the trip became something much more expansive than that.

No comments: